Monday, February 8, 2010

Fred's at Barneys - New York City

Fred's at Barneys Interior
The food or people watching? It's hard to decide which is better at Fred's, because both are so darned good! Two weekends ago I had a late lunch with two of my college buddies at Fred's. The restaurant was packed, but we were able to get a table in under 15 minutes, which was just this side of miraculous. This is supposed to be a place where celebrity sitings frequently occur, but we didn't spot any that day. Who cares? The food was awesome! Fred's has a very nice lunch menu. I had trouble deciding what to order because so much of it was appealing to me.

To begin my meal, I ordered a glass of 2007 San Bonifacio Pinot Grigio. Theirs is not an overly extensive wine list, but there are certainly sufficient and varied options for most any diner. I started with the Sautéed Chicken Livers appetiser. I am so sorry that I neglected to take a photo of this. It was a work of art! Sautéed chicken livers stacked high on a crostini, covered in port wine sauce. This was rich, but so delicious. I shared it with my friends and still had more than enough for myself. If you like liver, GET THIS!
Lobster Club
For my main course I had the Lobster Club. This is a sandwich to make Dagwood drool. Heaped full of lobster, bacon, lettuce and tomato on 7 grain bread with garlic mayo. I don't know the origin of the bread, but it made the sandwich as it was some of the most flavorful bread I have tasted. The sandwich is served with Belgian pomme frites, elegantly served in a pilsner shaped glass. Wow, even the fries are excellent. French Fries

I saw a lot of salads come out to tables and they looked beautiful. Extra care is taken with presentation. No skimpy portions at Fred's. If you have a hearty appetite, this is the place to go. Prices are a little steep, but it is Barneys and it is New York city. Make an online reservation directly with Fred's or through Open Table if you know this is where you want to dine. I would imagine that Fred's is also a great place to grab dessert and coffee. I was too full to indulge further, but If I'd had any room left, I would have tried their Profiteroles. Next trip!

_Laine
Fred's at Madison Avenue
Open for Brunch, Lunch and Dinner
Mon - Fri: 11:30am - 9pm
Sat: 11am - 8pm
Sun: 11am - 6pm

Fred's at Barneys on Urbanspoon

No comments: