Thursday, July 16, 2009

The Blue Point, Duck, NC

The Blue Point Interior, Duck Resturant
I love Blue Point. My first meal there was almost 20 years ago, if that says anything. The food, the location, everything. The restaurant overlooks the sound and during the summer, a reservation around 7:30-8 gives you a beautiful view of the water and setting sun. The bar stools are retro and red and the floor is large black and white tile. I think the atmosphere is warm, inviting but still elegant. You know you are going to have a good meal!

I have had quite a few of Blue Point's offerings. Any soup I have had has been wonderful. In the winter, you will see things like an acorn squash or lobster bisque and in the summer, you will see a Gazpacho or cold potato-leek selection. The lunch menu has meatloaf with chili sauce and mashed potatoes and this is some of the best meatloaf I have had. I promise. I have also had a chicken tostada during lunch which was also excellent. Pulled chicken, black beans, green peppers, avocado and pepper jack cheese.

Blue Point recently changed their menu for their 20-year anniversary. I have only been once since the change but was please. I selected the pan seared Scottish salmon. Their fish is always cooked to perfection and the accompaniments are expertly matched. I plan on trying the crab cakes the next time. As many times as I have been there, I have not tried them yet. Other crowd pleasers are the jambalaya, the cornmeal fried catfish and the specials. Tuna, often served with spinach or another green, and a tomato sauce is a frequent addition to the menu and has always been a hit. The one portion of the menu I am not sold on is the dessert selection. Key lime pie, pecan pie, cobbler and a dark chocolate selection. I tried the cobbler once and one of the ingredients was rhubarb, one of my least favorite things. My fault, I should have read beyond blueberry and peach cobbler. Rhubarb is strong and to me, overtakes a dish. There are quite a few ice cream places and of course, a Coldstone Creamery and a Dairy Queen, so I always know I have other choices. The Blue Point Exterior, Duck Resturant

The Blue Point is located at 1240 Duck Road, Duck, North Carolina 27949 and serves lunch and dinner daily.

www.goodfoodgoodwine.com (252)261-8090

~Alex

The Blue Point on Urbanspoon

No comments: