Thursday, July 16, 2009

Colington Cafe, Kill Devil Hills, NC

Colington Cafe Kill Devil Hills Restaurant Exterior
Driving on Colington Road, you will come to a turn where there is a pretty little white house, lights illuminated inside and in the garden. When you see that, you have arrived at Colington Cafe. The restaurant is small but very charming. I am not a fan or frilly knick-knacks, but these decorations do not seem to bother me at Colington, probably because the food and service are both very good.

From the appetizer course, I have had the hot crab dip, which is served with toast points, the grilled shrimp, the She-Crab bisque and the salad composee, which has pears, blue cheese and candied pecans and a balsamic vinaigrette over mesclun greens. I enjoyed all except the crab dip. It was strong, a little crabby', but the grilled shrimp were outstanding and I often choose that appetizer. If salmon is the fish du jour, I typically order it and have always been please. I have ordered grouper as well and that came with an artichoke and sun-dried tomato bread pudding. Often, bread pudding is associated with dessert, but a different twist and it was extraordinary. I hope to see it again soon in my dining adventures. The one peculiarity is that Colington does not have a broiler. A restaurant without a broiler? The point, the crab cakes only come fried. I tried them and was not excited about it. I probably will not order those again unless a broiler is put on the capital expense list. Nikki ordered the pasta primavera one visit and that was exceptional. Fresh, light and very flavorful. Another popular item is the Le Grand Trio, grilled Filet Mignon, grilled shrimp and jumbo lump crab meat served with Bearnaise. Variety and a lot of taste. There are quite a few choices, so you will certainly find something to satisfy your taste buds. Colington has an enticing desert selection, Toll House cookie pie, cheesecake, seasonal fruit cobbler, cheesecake, key lime pie, triple chocolate cake and a few others. I have had an array of the desserts and have always been pleased. I suggest a reservation at Colington as well.
Colington Cafe Kill Devil Hills Restaurant Sign

Colington Cafe serves dinner daily and is located at 1029 Colington Road, Kill Devil Hills, NC 27948. The restaurant does close for three months in the winter, January through March. For reservations, call (252)480-1123.

~Alex

www.colingtoncafe.com
Colington Cafe on Urbanspoon

2 comments:

Andreika said...

I've always wanted try this restaurant out. My aunt lives in Colington and everytime we have gone to visit we pass by this cute little restaurant. I love how it over looks the bay. How was it price wise??

Anonymous said...

Colington is cheaper than a the other fine dining restaurants in the OBX. Why pay $15-$18 at the many mediocre restaurants down there for bad food when you can pay a little more for really good food!

Check out their website here: www.colingtoncafe.com/menu.htm