Friday, September 18, 2009

Have You Ever Been a Waiter?

Not having been anything at all in the restaurant industry, I always wonder 'what is it like to be a waiter or chef' and 'is it something I wish I had done'. Knowing myself fairly well at this point, I would be the first to want to strangle the customers who gave me any lip and therefore, would have had to work with what Anthony Bourdain calls the 'pirate crew', the kitchen staff. I still live vicariously through all of the restaurant crew and enjoyed reading this op-ed article on waiters.

www.nytimes.com/2009/09/18/opinion/18damrosch.html?_r=1

Enjoy!
~Alex

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Is this about waiters or health care? Man, just can't get away from that topic. Here's my answer... "NO" I do not want to pay/fund another business to manage or provide benefits for their employees. Is this person nutz! It is the company's responsibility to manage and provide for their employees, not the private sector. Holy crap. I'll continue to tip the waiter and he can continue to not claim it all on his tax returns, and in turn not pay sufficient taxes which would in turn be funding things like...um...public health care!
_Laine