Friday, March 25, 2011

Gourmet Gang - Downtown, Norfolk, VA

Gourmet Gang dish Napa Cabbage Salad
March 25, 2011
Another weekly salad special. This is the Napa Cabbage Salad with chicken (it also came without chicken). The salad is advertised as featuring seasoned almonds and ramennoodles, diced red peppers, broccoli & spring onions tossedwith a sweet soy dressing for $7.25 or $8.25 with chicken. This was not one of my favorites. In my opinion, there were far to many ramen noodles. I didn't realize this at first, because they were all on the bottom of the salad. All the additional ingredients were chopped small, so it was impossible to avoid the noodles while trying to get a bite of the other salad parts. In retrospect, I now realize that the salad did not have the advertised seasoned almonds. Perhaps they ran out? On a positive note, the dressing was very good, and the chicken was moist and flavorful.
_Laine

March 17, 2011
This week's salad special is right up my alley. As you know from previous posts, I am a big fan of the Nicoise. I think GG (as Alex and I call it) did a great job with their version, which sticks closely to the traditional recipe;flaked tuna, red bliss potatoes, greenbeans, egg, olives and red onion on a bed of mixed greens withbalsamic dressing - $8.50. Gourmet Gang dish Nicoise Salad Unfortunately, Alex's sandwich order got botched, which never happens there. Apparently there was a big run on the Vegetarian/Vegan ruben; tempeh, swiss cheese, apple sauerkraut &dill pickle topped with vegan special sauce & served on softrye bread. Take off cheese and go Vegan - 7.95, They ran out of the apple sauerkraut, a key ingredient, but failed to mention it, and didn't serve it on her requested bread choice. Oops. No luck of the Irish for Alex today!
_Laine

The vegetarian Rueben sounded great - apple sauerkraut, tempeh, swiss, sprouts and pickles. Of course, after the last time, I am only ordering my sandwiches on multi-grain since that is my favorite (no wraps, please). This sandwich came on rye, but Gourmet Gang has never had an issue changing anything so I put in my request. They were out of sprouts, so I chose cucumbers as a substitute. This is the first time this has ever happened, but they made my sandwich on the wrong bread, the rye. When I saw it, I asked if it was too much trouble to change it and they said no problem. When the second version of my sandwich arrived, the apple sauerkraut was missing, to my dismay! That was the part about which I was most excited. When I asked if it had been left off, they told me they ran out. I asked if my original sandwich was still around and they had it, so I took that. I was pretty disappointed. We arrived at 12:15pm, which seems early to run out of two ingredients. They did have a regular Reuben on the menu as well, so I guess they had a run on these sandwiches. I was so excited about this sandwich, but the ordeal killed it for me. I hope they have it again, so I can try it with all of the ingredients (the way I want them, of course). I still adore Gourmet Gang, but was let down this time.
~Alex

No comments: