Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Azars-Ghent Location-While Alex is away, Laine will play

I would usually not review a Norfolk restaurant without my sidekick, Alex. However, she has forever banned Azars from her list of places to go. I know what you are thinking. Forever? As in, no chance of ever happening again? Take my word on this one. It ain't happening....So, her plane has barely left the ground as she goes off on holiday and I am on my way to Azars for lunch with Brianna*. (Forgive me, Alex!)

Azars specializes in Mediterranean foods and Natural foods, offering a good variety of vegetarian and vegan options for those interested. I started going to the Virginia Beach location of Azars back in the 90's and I still prefer the beach location. I like the ambiance of the smaller place, oddly located on a random side street off Bonney Road. The Ghent locale is bigger and fancier, but not necessarily better. We locals know it can be a pain to park in Ghent, and Azars is no exception. They have about 6 slots out front. Once those are full (they always are) you are on your own to find a spot combat style, up and down 20th Street or hoping you won't get towed from a nearby competitors lot. Once inside, you will see that this is a market and restaurant combined. The market is fairly small, stocking some Mediterranean cuisine staples and Azars own food line. Unlike the beach location where you are seated and waited upon, this is a order and get-it-yourself place. There is usually a line a couple people deep at the register. The lunch menu is fairly extensive covering appetizers, soups, salads, wraps, sandwiches, pizza, platters, etc. There is a kids menu available upon request. I was in the mod for a cup of soup, as the weather has been turning toward crisp fall days. They only offer soup by the bowl, no cups, so I passed. Brianna and I shared a Spanakopita appetizer, I ordered a Baba Ghanouj wrap and Brianna a Chicken Salad wrap. After you place your order they hand you a buzzer, your empty drink cup and send you out to wait.

SIDEBAR-There is a tip jar at the register. This is a pet peeve of mine. (You are learning that I have more than one pet peeve by now.) Why are they asking me to tip them? How many of you loyal readers have tip jars on your desk at work, or in the classroom where you teach, or the emergency room where you work? If someone waits on my table and serves me, or mixes my drink at a bar, I will leave a nice tip. Even if they do a bad job serving me, I will still leave a tip. I will NOT leave a tip for someone taking my order at a register. The person they work for should be paying them. These cashiers should either ask the boss for a raise, or find another job somewhere else making more money. Lose the jar asking me if I am "Feeling Tipsy". From the looks of the empty jar, no one is feeling it.

I've had the Spanakopita here before, and I think it has improved. This traditional Greek appetizer, is comprised of a layered pastry filled with spinach, feta cheese, onions, and olive oil. Previously I found theirs to be slightly undercooked, and a bit chewy. Today, the filo pastry was cooked enough to still flake, but not overdone and hard. These are individually cooked pieces, not cut from a large pan as the menu photo would lead you to believe. A very tasty way to start. The sandwich wraps are a rolled and toasted pita which ends up being rather crispy in the toasting process. I like this texture, but can see where the those unacquainted with it may be expecting the typical soft wrap. A whole wrap portion is rather large, comprising of two pieces about 5-6 inches long each. There are half wrap options for those with a smaller appetite, or wanting to pair it with soup. Baba Ghanouj is primarily grilled eggplant and tahini. It was great. Brianna also liked her Chicken Salad wrap, taking half of it home in the doggie bag with the Baklava she could not resist.

Azars has a patio for outdoor dining on warmer days, although sitting practically on the street of Colley Avenue is not very aesthetic to me. Gas fumes and hummus are not a natural pairing. Today's lunch came out fairly quickly, and the place was about 3/4 full. One negative about Azars is that they will charge you for special orders. No exception. You want to switch it up, add something, delete something, or perhaps substitute items? You will pay. Hmmm, could this be why Alex doesn't like Azars? The world may never know! As for me, overall I like Azars and will be back.

_Laine

Azars of Ghent is located at 2000 Colley Avenue. To view hours of operation and menus online click here.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I refuse to ever eat here again. The quality is worse than bad, it is overpriced and they nickle and dime you for everything (leaving off tomato, or asking for cucumbers instead of pickles - essentially the same thing). If everything is so 'fresh', why can't they cater to their customers needs? Banned on my list, but I'm glad Laine reviewed it as we want our blog to remain well rounded in choices.
~Alex

Michele said...

I visited the Virginia Beach location over the weekend. I'll post the review in a couple of weeks but it seems like my experience was better than yours. No parking problems and no ordering at the counter.

Anonymous said...

I used to go there all the time when I lived at the beach and worked less than a mile away. I prefer it over the Ghent locale.
_Laine