Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Bobbywood - Downtown Norfolk

Bobbywood, Norfolk Restaurant

Bobbywood is, by far, my favorite restaurant in the Hampton Roads area (Tidewater, for you natives). Everything about dining at Bobbywood is extraordinary. The menu has a number of appetizers, soups, salads and a slew of main courses. Appetizers include an Asian-inspired calamari, a crab salad topped with grilled shrimp, foie gras and pot stickers. The famous oyster stew is a regular in the soup selections and there is always a soup of the day. Duck, lamb, salmon, tuna, crab cakes, free-range chicken, filet mignon and meatloaf are some of the main course selections. The restaurant has a modern/post-modern design with the perfect lighting for fine dining. The kitchen is exposed so guests can watch the masterminds work their magic. The bar is also a nice spot, whether you are stopping by for a drink or having a complete meal. Another note on the bar, there is a happy hour Tuesdays-Fridays 5-6:30pm. The starters, soups and salads are half off, in addition to a variety of drink specials.
Last Friday, Leigh, Sasha and I opted for Bobbywood before the opera. We decided to dine at the bar, since we had a time constraint. It is also always fun to chat with Rob, the bartender. We started with the Chop Chop Greek salad. The display was as exciting as the taste. The greens are to one side of the dish and the tapenade, cucumbers, tomatoes and feta are layered in a circular fashion on the opposite side of the plate. The feta in this salad was certainly the best we have had. Butternut squash soup was one of the specials and I just had to try it. Wonderful.
Leigh and Sasha were torn between the parmesan-encrusted rockfish special and the meatloaf and in the end both ordered the latter, which came with a large helping of mashed potatoes and spinach. What a good decision. I must make one note, this is a very large portion, so you may have a doggy bag to take home, but it will be a nice treat the next day! Because it is delicious and I can never pull myself away from ordering it , I chose the onion-crusted salmon with spinach-potato cakes, sage cream and crispy spinach.
We would have ordered dessert had we not been in a hurry. To emphasize my love for Bobbywood, Norfolk has an annual restaurant week and I dined at Bobbywood three times during the week long event, I had no qualms about it. I have been there the past two years on my birthday, in addition to every other time I can round up my friends to go out for a nice meal. On my birthday, they printed menus with happy birthday and my name. That is the personal touch I seek. Reservations are not required but suggested and they always ask if it is for a special occasion.

Please visit Bobbywood for an exceptional dining experience. Bobbywood is open starting at 5pm Tuesdays-Sundays and is located 435 Monticello Avenue in Downtown Norfolk.

http://www.eatbobbywood.com/

~Alex

No comments: