Monday, October 20, 2008

Zelicks Cafe-Just "Okay"

World Trade Center, Norfolk, Virginia

Laine drew Zelicks from the magic envelope last week.  We did not have a lot of user reviews to go on, as only two people we know have been to the cafe.  Not always a bad thing, as we like to venture to new spots as unbiased as possible.  The owner is super friendly and is on first name basis with many of the customers (we noticed this today and last week when we did some minor reconnaissance to pick up the menu).  Recon is always important.  Located in the World Trade Center, Zelicks is a convenient spot for the business folks that frequent the café, especially those with little time to spare.  Let me start with the drink.  Zelicks has diet Dr. Pepper, a huge weakness for me.  After spying that, I caved and ordered the large drink which is a small tub of soda and for a mere $1.58.  DEAL, particularly when Laine and I have paid $3 for sodas and teas…8oz for $3 at that.  Transgress…back to our meal.  I ordered the smoked turkey and walnut salad.  Lettuce, cucumbers, tomatoes, carrots, mozzarella cheese, smoked turkey, croutons, walnuts and raisins.  I am scared of fruit salad dressings so instead of the raspberry, I chose the Vidalia onion variety. The croutons were slightly overdone, but other than that, the salad was good.  This isn't a fancy meal, but it is a quick and effortless meal.  The café was not crowded at noon when we arrived.  I have a feeling, there are a lot of take-outs.  I did spot a few people eating the pizzas and they looked delicious.  Homemade delicious and a very generous portion.  Everything is quite reasonable and ranges from $4.25 for a grilled cheese to $6.99 for a club sandwich.  This seems like the kind of place that has excellent egg, chicken or tuna salad, all offered on the menu.  The homemade desserts and breakfast selections looked awfully good as well.  There are weekly specials on a large blackboard when you walk in.  Laine and I kept discussing adding variety to our lunch locales and Zelicks has made the cut.
~Alex

Perhaps Alex liked Zelicks a tiny bit more that I did? I’d say it was just “okay”. Not really anything I can get too excited about, nor am I in any rush to hurry back. The pizzas did look pretty good, and appeared to be what the majority of the customers were ordering. The folks that work there seem like a nice bunch, and I imagine that if I worked in the WTC I’d probably go there on rainy days or days I didn’t feel like venturing out …which are few and far between. Getting out of the office at least once a day re-energizes me. I’d go there again if Alex picked it, but it won’t be one of my selections. I ordered the chicken and grape salad. My croutons were BURNT, not slightly overdone. The carrots were cut the in huge pieces. Did you ever try to cut a carrot gracefully using a plastic knife? By gracefully, I mean keeping the carrot in your plate, rather than sending it soaring across the table. I’d score that an 8 on a difficulty scale of 1-10, 10 being impossible.
_Laine

Zelicks Cafe is located in the World Trade Center in Downtown Norfolk and is open Monday-Friday 8am-3pm. Zelicks also offers catering for businesses, in addition to evening and weekend events.

No comments: