Monday, August 17, 2009

Cupcake, Charleston, SC

Heading for Three Dog Bakery (which is a very cute pet store in Charleston's downtown district - www.threedogcharleston.com), I spotted a cupcake store called nothing more simple than Cupcake! The cupcake store concept has been around for a while, but I am still intrigued and easily pulled in to one of these alluring spots. Much to Chas' chagrin, I insisted on going into the enticing store. It was packed! My gaze traveled quickly to the Red Velvet cupcake but choosing a second was a little more difficult. Black Bottom, Praline, Black and White, Vanilla. So much sugar, so little time. I settled on the Praline because buying one seemed like a crime against the dessert world. Thinking back, I should have bought a dozen...next time, my friend, next time. Initially, I thought I would save them for the next day, but that fleeting memory was long gone after looking into my bag of bliss. Truthfully and this is hard for me, a red velvet anything fan, to say, I will not jump for the Red Velvet again. That cake and other variations, such as the cupcake can be tricky and take on a slightly odd aftertaste. That was the case here, but the Praline cupcake saved the day. It was nothing less than phenomenal. All of the cupcakes come with enough icing for all of the cake. I have no qualms in admitting I am one who eats the tops of things like muffins and cupcakes because that is the best part. Let others eat the cake! I did not have to do that at Cupcake and was very pleased about it. Cupcake varies its flavors daily, but they offer ten to fifteen flavors at a time, so you will not be disappointed, no matter the moment.

Open daily, Cupcake is located at 433 King Street, Charleston, SC 29403.

~Alex
www.freshcupcakes.com

Cupcake on Urbanspoon

No comments: